Where to Stay:
- The Coqui Inn - Friendly, cheap, with solid amenities.
- Borinquen Beach Inn - the closest budget hotel to the beach.
- Courtyard by Marriott - A great, kid-friendly option for families in a prime location.
- ESJ Towers - One and two-bedroom apartments right on the beach; what more do you need?
Where to Eat:
There are many excellent restaurants in Isla Verde, from local favorites to popular global chains:
Puerto Rican Cuisine
There's a surprising dearth of really good Puerto Rican restaurants in Isla Verde, which offers many more international options. However, you can't miss at Platos, which serves local dishes with innovative flair.
What to See and Do:
Of course, there's the beach. Two of them, actually: Isla Verde Beach and Carolina Beach, a balneario, or "public beach," with ample parking and amenities (unlike Isla Verde beach). Here are some other activities to put on your list:
- Casinos - Two of the best casino hotels in San Juan are located in Isla Verde.
- Diving - Call Ocean Sports if you want to arrange a dive trip from Isla Verde.
- Water sports - San Juan Waterfun, located on Isla Verde Beach, will get you on a wave-runner, Hobie Cat, bananaboat, or parasail.
- Cockfighting - Yup, I said cockfighting: you can watch it at the Club Gallístico de Puerto Rico.
Where to Shop:
Where to Go Out at Night:
- Club Brava - the hottest club in San Juan can be found at the El San Juan Hotel & Casino.
- Wet - The rooftop setting is awesome, making this Water & Beach Club hangout one of my favorite San Juan lounges.
- Lupi's on Isla Verde Avenue (787-722-1874) - Cheap Mexican food, gigantic margaritas, a young Spring-Breakish crowd. What's not to love?
- The Upper Level Lounge - A chilled out second-floor destination above the casino floor at the Ritz.
- Casinos - most are open until at least 4 am, if not 24 hours.