The Bottom Line
- A broad menu of basic and exotic treatments catering to just about everyone.
- Courteous, friendly, and well-trained staff.
- An environment that promotes peace, relaxation, and pampering.
- Its location in the Sheraton Hotel makes it a hike from Old San Juan, Condado, and Isla Verde.
- Zen is located on the third floor of the Sheraton Hotel. You can book an appointment through the hotel or on their web site.
- Check ot Zen's spa packages, which cater to women, men, and couples.
- Massage therapy prices range from $95 for 55 minutes to $265 for some of their signature therapies.
- For guests interested in a longer stay, the spa offers a variety of 2- and 5-day retreats.
Guide Review - Review of Zen Spa at the Sheraton Puerto Rico
As the name implies, Zen Spa Retreat is Asian-inspired and minimalist in decor, but its therapies span the globe and include several home-grown ingredients. The spa is deceptively cozy for an almost 7,000-square-foot facility. Soft lighting, warm tones and the aroma of essential oils relaxes you as soon as you walk in. Tucked away are eight facial and massage therapy rooms, two massage suites, and a body therapy room with vichy shower. The locker rooms come equipped with sauna and steam rooms. In addition, there is a tea lounge and two relaxation rooms where you can rest before or after your service.
My expeience began with a half-hour session in the steam room, which is both exhausting and invigorating. From there, I adjourned to the lounge, where I sipped my herbal tea until my therapist came to collect me.
The masssage rooms are more spacious than at many hotels I've seen, and you can choose to have the calm music of the spa piped in or silence (I went with the music, which helped lull me into a blissful state of near-sleep). My therapist was excellent, applying just the right amount of pressure and ensuring that I was enjoying the experience. After an hour, I felt renewed.
Of course, your choice of massage (which includes Swedish, Deep Tissue, Reflexology, and Shiatsu) is just the start of the options at Zen. You can select from a menu of hot stone treatments (traditional hot stones, jade stones, marble and mineral) as well as a Stepping Stone therapy which combines gemstones mineral body wrap with hot stone massage. In addition, Zen has three signature treatments:
- Zendera focuses on skin healing and combines a bamboo, apricot seed and coconut slough with an Asian rice body cocoon and a Shitake firming concentrate massaged in to revitalize the skin.
- Oasis begins with a native fruit seeds and plants exfoliation, is followed by an aroma body massage using an acacia wood tool, and ends with a body cocoon therapy and a warm water cascade.
- Nirvana gives you an apricot seed and kiwi scrub to remove dead skin cells, an an avocado and cilantro clay body cocoon infused with steam therapy to help you detox and stimulate circulation. The therapy also includes the Shirodhara technique, an Ayurvedic therapy under which a steady dripping of oil falls on the third eye (on your forehead), to help you relax completely.