November is when Puerto Rico really swinings into holiday mode. This month ushers in Thanksgiving, the traditional family holiday, and I've got a great way for you to celebrate an authentic Puerto-Rican style Thanksgiving. But it's also the official start to the long-running and fun-filled Christmas season. As for events and goings-on, there's almost no end to what's available. From NCAA basketball to pro-level bodyboarding, historic events to a historic vote, and pitbull to turkey, there is a lot going on this month. Oh, and in case that's not enough, the circus is coming to town this year.
- Thanksgiving is a special time on the island, with its own unique flavors and traditions, and one pretty cool tour.
- The Puerto Rico Tip Off brings eight of the best college basketball teams to Puerto Rico.
- The Discovery of Puerto Rico Day is, naturally, a big deal, and the town of Aguada does it justice with a huge parade.
- November 2-13: The Encanto World Series Bodyboarding Championship takes place at Middles Beach in Isabela.
- November 2: The one-man dance soundtrack, Pitbull, comes back to the Coliseo in San Juan for his Planet Pit World Tour, and he's bringing Brazilian singer Michel Teló with him.
- November 3-4: Gamers, gather around. The Puerto Rico Convention Center invites you to get your game on at the Gaming Xplosion Fest", where you can take on a Playstation all-stars battle royale, conquer Black Ops II and even meet NBA Legend Darryl Dawkins (aka "Chocolate Thunder") courtesy of NBA 2K13.
- November 11: Glam up and run like a diva at the Diva Half Marathon in San Juan.
- November 11: If you're a salsa fan, you'll want to head to the Coliseo in San Juan to watch arguably the greatest salsa band in the land, El Gran Combo, celebrate 50 years of glorious salsa music.
- November 15-18: The Puerto Rico Tipoff brings eight college basketball teams to the Coliseo in San Juan. You'll have the chance to see 12 games over the course of three days, including NC State, Tennessee, Oklahoma State, UMass and other great NCAA teams.
- November 15-18: Cirque du Soleil brings its traveling spectacle of human acrobatics, dance and ridiculous skill to Puerto Rico with Saltimbanco.
- November 15-January 3: La Feria converts the Hiram Bithorn stadium into a makeshift amusement and family fun park starting in November and running through the holiday season.
- November 17-18: The Puerto Rico Rum & Beer Festival brings music, food, and of course, rum and beer to the Puerto Rico Convention Center in San Juan.
- November 19: The town of Aguada celebrates the discovery of Puerto Rico with the aptly named Discovery of Puerto Rico Day with a massive parade.
- November 22: Celebrate Thanksgiving Puerto Rico style with a tour into lechón country with Debbie Molina-Ramos and Legends of Puerto Rico.
- November 22-25: Thanksgiving in Puerto Rico is a homely, family affair; it's a time when the relatives all gather for a gut-busting meal. Check out how it's done on the island.
- November 23-25: The 12th Annual Festival del Pastel takes place in Orocovis. This culinary festival celebrates the iconic food of the Christmas season: the Puerto Rican Pastel, which has its origins with the Taíno Indians.