- Nothing eclipses the pageantry of the Ponce Carnival, an event that draws hundreds of thousands of visitors to Puerto Rico's Second City each year.
- The Casals Festival, Caribbean's premier classical music event, begins in February and extends through March.
- It's prime whale-watching season on the west coast of Puerto Rico, and there are several boats that will take you out and get you up close to migrating humpback whales.
- February 1-3: The 12th Annual International Regatta kicks off at the Club Náutico de San Juan. The event gathers over 100 sailors from the Caribbean, the US and the world, and is sure to include parties and plenty of pomp.
- February 2: Salsa-lovers, head to the Coliseo in San Juan for Sonido Bestial, which celebrates 50 years of Salsa music. Catch performances by Agúzate, Señora, Mi Bandera, La Zafra, Amparo Arrebato, Richie’s Jala-Jala, A Mi Manera and more.
- February 6-12: The Ponce Carnival is Puerto Rico's answer to Mardi Gras, Rio'd Carnaval, and every other pre-Lent celebration. And if New Orleans has its beaded revelers and Rio its costumed dancers, Puerto Rico has its Vejigantes, elaborately masked figures representing local folkloric demons. For more information, call 787-841-8044 or 787-284-4141.
- February 9-13: The 2013 Rip Curl Pro Puerto Rico brings another all-star lineup of surfers from around the world to Jobo's Beach in Aguadilla. You can watch every second through the live webcast.
- February 13-17: Think you're a daredevil? How would you stack up against these guys? Launching from Arecibo, Xtreme Divers host a freefall festival just before Valentine's Day.
- February 14: Valentine's Day is quite popular on the island. Check my blog for special deals and dinner offers at hotels and restaurants.
- February 16: If you're still enjoying the amorous after-effects of Valentine's Day fever, catch the Orquesta Camerata Filarmónica and its Romantic Movies Concert. The orchestra will be belting out hits from Titanic, Twilight, Pretty Woman, Ghost, Dirty Dancing, and more The event kicks off at 8 pm at the Centro de Bellas Artes in Guaynabo. Tickets available here.
- February 23: The World's Best 10K Race has become the largest family sports event in Puerto Rico, drawing more than 10,000 people a year. Its been held annually in Puerto Rico since 1998.
- February 23-24: The small town of Guaynabo has an interesting carnival that it has held since 1976 in honor of Mabó, a local Taíno Indian chieftain.
- February 23-March 16: The internationally renowned Casals Festival is the premier classical music festival in the Caribbean, a storied tradition that brings the world's best performers to Puerto Rico. This year that list includes the Takacs Quartet and Rudolph Buchbinder, to name just a few. Events will be held at the Luis A. Ferré Performing Arts Center in San Juan.
- Throughout February: Whale-watching season continues in the west coast of Puerto Rico, when humpback whales can be spotted off the coast. An excellent spot to see them is the observation park at the Rincón lighthouse.