Sticking to the theme of what people don't always know about the island, here are a few statisitcs, facts and details that you may not be aware of, but could affect your vacation:
- Drinking Age: The legal drinking age in Puerto Rico is 18. No matter what your age is, you can't drink on the street in Old San Juan.
- Gambling: Given the number of casinos on the island, this may not be a real surprise, but gambling is legal all over the island. However, only hotels are allowed to have casinos.
- Road Rules: For some reason, gas is sold by the liter, but distance is measured in kilometers. To make things even more confusing, speed is measured in miles per hour. The legal driving age is 16.
- Time: There is no Daylight Savings Time in Puerto Rico, which is always on Atlantic Standard Time.
- Language: Puerto Rico has two official languages: Spanish and English.